Halloween 2020

A different look to Halloween traditions.

Abigail Whittington and Caylei Caldwell

Halloween, like everything else, was different this year due to Covid-19. People didn’t let this stop them however, by coming up with new creative ways to celebrate Halloween. 

One of the most anticipated events of Halloween is the trick-or-treating. To adapt, many people set up a bowl of candy at the end of their driveway and let the kids take a piece. Others took a PVC pipe and placed a piece of candy down the pipe and sent the candy down the tunnel to the child waiting at the other end, like a candy chute. People handing out candy mostly sat outside and followed recommendations to set up a table and space out candy so not everyone was reaching into the same bowl.

Many people handing out candy wore masks, as did many trick-or-treaters. Another popular recommendation was distributing pre-made goodie bags so that the kids wouldn’t need to touch the candy. Individuals were recommended to stay 6 feet apart and used hand sanitizer. There were even virtual options for online trick-or-treating. 

“There were a lot less people trick-or-treating this year compared to other years,” junior Shelby Simms said. “It seems like a lot of people are afraid to even go outside for one occasion. It’s crazy.”

With the upcoming holidays come the traditions of celebrating with family and friends. Some students ditched previous traditions to celebrate over Zoom or send pictures of costumes. Many students were in quarantine for Halloween.

“I decided to celebrate in a different way and just watch spooky movies all day,” junior Paige Baker said. 

Changing long standing traditions can also make way for new traditions.

“Normally we hang out with people,” sophomore Abby Dunn said. “This year, my sister (freshman Lucy Dunn) and I stayed at our house and watched movies and our Dad made us milkshakes.” 

Halloween 2020 was definitely different, but with slight changes most students were still able to have fun.