Teachers Adapt to Virtual Learning as Parents

Teachers balance students and parenting in the new learning environment.

Briauna Swinford, Reporter

Amidst Covid-19 numbers climbing, many students and teachers are learning virtually. Parents are also affected by the actions schools are taking against Covid-19.

Communication Arts teacher Kristen Rogan has three kids that began the school year learning virtually in kindergarten, 3rd grade, and 6th grade.

“The hardest part for me is that by the time I return home from work, the kids are done with school for the day and don’t really want to spend more time on the computer,” Rogan said.

To help solve this problem, Rogan started a schedule in the evenings where each kid spends 30 minutes with her on schoolwork, and as a reward for hard work throughout the week the family celebrates with a Friday movie night. 

“The effectiveness of online learning really depends on the kid. My daughter is in kindergarten, and while she enjoyed the apps and new technology she missed the social interaction,” Rogan said. “Starting 6th grade virtually was hardest for our oldest; it’s a new school for him, and he didn’t feel connected to the staff. It was also difficult for him to not receive special education support in person.”

Spanish teacher Aryn Posadas has balanced not only the demands of teaching during a pandemic but also coordinating virtual learning as a single parent.

“It has been very difficult,” Posadas said. “Adapting to teaching a foreign language for virtual students and while wearing a mask and reinventing how I conduct lessons has been extremely challenging. After work, I need to focus on my sons and stay on top of their virtual learning. It’s really stressful.”